Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hot Tamales

I finally got the hint (as if the scale wasn't screaming it loud enough) and I HID the Halloween candy. For the most part, it is out of sight out of mind...for ME and for the kids.

I was not the only one haunted by this candy sitting on the counter. Bubba is the junk food prince. It's a wonder how he stays so skinny and has any teeth left.

Every night we get home from school/work and he starts in,

"Can I have a treat?"
"Can I have a treat?"
"Can I have a treat?"

Usually I will allow a yogurt or something mildly healthy, but with the Halloween candy up on the counter doing an eat me dance he almost always meant treat as in candy.

I bagged all of it up, putting the chocolate in the fridge/freezer in the basement and stuffed all the non chocolate candy in the cupboard. A cupboard that NONE of us use, the cupboard that still adorns a child proof lock and holds bowls for the holidays.

Last night, Bubba went missing for a while. My mommy intuition KNEW he was up to something. I had said no about a million times to another treat and he wasn't throwing his massive (typical) fit.

A quiet house is only a peaceful house when it is empty. OH but a quiet house with children in it means they are up to something. That something USUALLY isn't something good.

I casually walked around the house picking up things as I went along and I came to Bubba's room.

His face SCREAMED naughty (he gets a really cute dimple in his cheek when he is trying not to smile).

I said, "what's up buddy?"

Buggy came into the room behind me as Bubba tried to spit out a word but something was obstructing his ability to speak.

"Whatcha got there, dude?" I asked with a smirk on my face.

Buggy, bellowed "oooohh, he has H..."

Before she could say the last word, Bubba was sitting up in his bed, mouth wide open, pieces of half chewed candy decorated his tongue bright red.

"HOOOOTTT" he said.

Flatly I replied, "yes, Hot Tamales are hot candy, next time ASK Mommy. Dishonesty only gets you in trouble."

He promptly spit out the candy and ran for a drink of water.

I walked Buggy to bed and could not contain myself with laughter.

I looked at her and said, "THAT was hilarious!"

She laughed, and with a gleam in her eye she said, "I am glad I can read the box when I steal my candy!"

candy Pictures, Images and Photos

*note to self, remove child locks they aren't working so why have them.
**note to self, throw away the damn Halloween candy.

***school only provides them more tools to be sneaky ;)

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. that is hilarious! totally true though that a quiet house with kids is not a good thing. If you leave a box of crackers of cereal on the kitchen counter at my house, the boy will steal it, hide under his bed and eat the whole box. Yet he is the skinniest little thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's good. Bet he learned that lesson real fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am glad I can read the box when I steal my candy!" That is AWESOME!

    I had a similar candy theft experience over the weekend. I guess candy is evil. Bad candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO... candy won't make boys fat, it only happens to girls hehe... candy likes them better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I've never seen or heard of that candy (we don't get HALF the stuff you guys do - boo!) but I can imagine what it's like. Just goes to show that stealing candy can never be good! Hehe :-)

    My boys love candy too and they are tall & skinny weeds ... just like their Dad! No fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is very smart...and honest! It's key to know what you are sneeking. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's good, thank goodness I can read when I sneak candy....ha ha ha aha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm... all of a sudden, your dream the other day makes a whole lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. of course I changed the name silly. I make good on the promises.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom used to hide our Easter Candy in the freezer. I damn near busted a tooth eating that frozen bunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a hot story too, but it doesnt involve candy. It is about ky warming jelly and a curious 2 yr old. Ill share sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Buggy has a future in comedy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! That candy makes kids do craaaazy things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is funny! I need to hide the candy too, but I always find it :)

    Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hot Tamales are my favorite...I love those things way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! That's AWESOME!! Hot tamales are the only candy I'll eat...I don't like Candy...and mine too would hide under the bed and eat the whole box...he likes spicy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hiding the candy never works! have you thrown it away yet???

    that is really a funny story! i can so picture that same scene playing out at my house in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, pull up a therapy couch and tell me all about it...