*stares at blank page*
*curser blinks in rhythm to Loser*
I have things to say.
I do. I really do.
Now I have that song stuck in my head. *taps foot*
I hate how DIFFERENT my kids are around Ex#2. He's bought them clothes for his house and only his house. They are walking Old Navy ads.
Not that there is anything wrong with Old Navy.
I like Old Navy. It just rubs me raw because of how materialistic he has always been.
Before we were married, he'd wear a fake wedding ring. Just cause he liked to "look" married. While I was pregnant with Bubba he would say, "My kid won't wear Walmart clothes." When we bought our house he complained it wasn't "showy enough, not big enough, not fancy enough". Every few years he'd tire of his car and want something bigger and better. It's daunting to "keep up with the Jones' in his head".
I find myself fighting to teach the kids that material things do not equal love, material things do not define you as a good person, etc. That's hard with a 10 year old and an almost 7 year old.
Wearing name brand clothes, fake wedding rings, and driving fancy cars does NOT make you who you are, it's a fake way to present yourself to the world. Make them THINK you're all that, but after a few times being around that, you find who they really are and that is where the true person emerges.
One day, I hope my children see that, know that and aspire to be better than the labels they wear, the fakeness that others present and better than what kind of car they drive.
yes!!! well said, stuff is just stuff. People are love
ReplyDeleteTo true..stuff is just stuff. Unfortunately I am finding with my 12 year old, peer pressure is a real thing too! we are walking a fine line between what we need and what we want:) Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteOh that would frustrate me!
ReplyDeleteI've learned the hard way to not be materialistic. Not that I ever was too much. But now I REALLY get it.
ReplyDeleteyou are a wonderful mother and your children will see it isnt about materialistic things. I know a few people that are the same as you ex, and I just shake my head. I will never understand why some people have to try and make themselves look better than others.
ReplyDeleteMy ex is like that too, but he is that way cause he grew up poor. He thinks that now he is an adult he has to show off to all his friends that hes not that poor boy anymore. Its just sad really.
ReplyDeleteother then he made the soccerboy very materialistic.
Soccerboy wont even buy his boxers from anywhere but American Eagle or Hollister.
and I have the "talk" all the time about stuff.
My ex was the same way. His 15 yr old son is convinced Dad is going to buy him a brand new car for his 16th birthday. The kids won't wear anything but Nike Shocks, and name brand clothes. The 7 year old? Has a laptop. A laptop. Because every 7 year old needs a laptop. Clearly.
ReplyDeleteDrove me batty. UGH
That would make me crazy and really, this is an epidemic in NA. Always striving for more stuff and never finding happiness.
ReplyDeleteYou will teach your kids better, despite all this.
No worries!
This is a super hard lesson to teach kids when you don't have someone around that is materialistic. You just have to keep the faith that one day they will get the message and see that is all just a front and that being real is what matters.
ReplyDelete