Friday, February 25, 2011

You chimed in and now I'm gonna ring my own bell.

Last post I posed a question to all of you, thanks to those who chimed in.


Here was the question..."Is paying your kids for As and Bs the same as buying them a toy when they behave out in public?"



My stance?  They are the same thing.
Mr.FF's?  They are not the same thing. 

We started a semi-debate on this topic...but we never did finish it...I offered him the opportunity to guest blog here to state his "facts" but that hasn't happened...sooooo


Therefore, I am going to assume (ass u me) that I am right.

Yep. Done and Done. 
;)




There were some good thoughts in the comments....and I can see your points...like "getting good grades is the child's job, and in a job you are paid"...I can see that logic....however my spin puts it like this....It is your job to get good grades NOW so that when you're older you will be prepared to get a good paying job.

Another point (and I think Mr.FF mentioned this as well)...for a child that doesn't NORMALLY get good grades, paying them for when they do get good grades. 

I guess, that's an option. 

HOWEVER, specifically in his kid's case....they should be getting good grades....ESPECIALLY now that they are in his full custody...and both have improved greatly since being under his care and supervision.  IS that enough to reward them with money?  Maybe, but good grades should be expected, not necessarily rewarded monetarily, IMHO.

Everyone is different and each child is different, I get that...I do not pay for good grades, I do not pay for "chores", to me these are expected of the child...behaving in public?  Expected.

I do think rewarding them for a job well done is COMPLETELY acceptable....a dinner out for example.  A verbal pat on the back, works.  Good grades should be celebrated, most definately, but monetary rewards for doing what they are SUPPOSE to do is not the way I roll.

Besides, I don't have the money to spare.

Now, Mr.FF has deemed this blog one-sided...I agreed and did a little "it's my blog, i'll blog what I want to" dance...

EXCEPT, he always has good points and I value his opinion and thoughts....so...Mr.FF, chime in lover.  Anytime.

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. But then I would like to hear Mr. FF's side on this. Please Mr. FF enlighten me.
    Thank you1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grades need to be celebrated--I agree. But being paid for them, no way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one who snickered when I read your title. Sorry, a dirty mind is an affliction and I'm off my meds.

    Anywhiskey, I agree with you completely! I have certain expectations of the Things. They meet them. Life is good. That's not to say I don't show them the love on occassion. For example, his first semester of HS, Thing1 was on cross country, had a leading roll in the school musical, babysat, doubled his chores at home, picked up side jobs, was fun to spend time with and ROCKED STRAIGHT FREAKING As. Now, this isn't his first go with straight As, but considering everything he had going on and him diving into HS, I was fully prepared to see a bit of a dip until he figured things out. So, he was rewarded grandly but it was clear that the reward wasn't just about grades or good behavior. It was about everything. It was about him totally having his shit together in big and impressive ways.

    Sorry for the long post. I guess I need to brag a little.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, pull up a therapy couch and tell me all about it...