Friday, April 16, 2010

One on One, I'm better.

I just am much better when there's just one...

There are so many times that I think, MAN! I rock this mom business...when there is only one of them.

When there are two, I feel more like I am a referee than a participant in their lives. Buggy knows how to push Bubba's buttons and Bubba, well, he's a handful and even more so when his sister is around.

When we were in Arizona my mom and I were sitting outside talking. She had just finished off a half bottle of wine and started in about my kids. Bubba's behavior, Buggy's weight, she went on and on about their "issues". She babbled about her concerns for an hour.

I like hearing advise about what I could be doing better, about things that others observe good and bad. However, after an hour and a half bottle of wine later (her drinking, not mine...and now that I think of it, maybe I should have had a drink too maybe then I could have had a better rebuttal.) I had heard enough.

I looked at her with tears in my eyes and said, "Mom, I hear you, and I appreciate your concerns, but I can't sit here and listen anymore. If you have suggestions as to how I could improve I am willing to listen, however, all you've done is babble about what you see as wrong. You have no constructive criticism, you have no tips on how I can be better."

"I know, honey, hell, look I wasn't and still am not the best mother in the world, but I just see things and want you to be aware." She said.

"Oh, well, thank you. I am aware. What I am not aware of is how to correct the situation."

"Yeah, me either." She sighed.

I filed most of the conversation in my whatever file, but one thing stung enough to still be on my mind since returning.

She said, "I see you repeating my, for lack of a better word, mistakes."

*gulp*

I strive to be better, not the best, not perfect, but BETTER than what I felt my parents were in my life.

Growing up, from what I remember and have been told, I was the "perfect" child, but that is in comparison to my brother who had and still has tons of issues and lack of good judgement.

The reason I was "good" was because it was EXPECTED of me, I constantly took the backseat, hands folded in my angelic way on my lap. So much of my Mom's time was devoted to putting out the fires my brother created. I was praised for being good, he was punished for being naughty.

My good behavior got me (little) attention, but the negative attention (much more) my brother "needed" put me on the back burner. I did as I was told, I did what would please others, hoping that if I did enough I would also get the attention.

MY mom sees this same pattern happening with Buggy and Bubba. I have to say, she just might be right AND THAT HURTS.

*bigger gulp*

After returning home, I talked to Buggy about the attention she gets and/or doesn't get. I told her I miss her and want to have more time with her. I apologized for the time that Bubba sucks away from us and that I want to do something to change that.

So far, all I've come up with is a later bedtime.

Buggy and I walk Bubba to bed, tuck his punk ass in and then "pretend" to send Buggy to bed as well. If we don't pretend he will ruin our time throwing a fit until she is in bed. We walk into her room, turn on her radio, make loud good night kisses, shut off the light and tip-toe out to the living room.

She is loving the sneakiness of it all, which isn't the message I want her to get, but we have enjoyed at least an extra half hour a night together, just her and I. She chooses what we do. Watch TV, play Wii, read, whatever she wants.

Tomorrow, we are dropping Bubba off at Capt'n Cancel's (HOPEFULLY) and heading to a Brownies trip together...we are pretty excited about it.

Small steps, I know, but hopefully they are big enough in her eyes for her to know I care.

Buggy

This being a mom to two kids...is a lot harder than I would have expected at times.


Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. You are not alone! I have Katie (9) and Bubba (7) and everything you just wrote..I could have written! We have done the sneaky bedtime thing too! My Bubba takes up alot of time but I really feel it's the age and the gender and I feel he will outgrow alot of it. Hell, he HAS outgrown alot of behavior I was happy to see go! Since I didn't hear anything about you having to put out your Bubba's "fires" I am going to say you ARE doing a better job than your parents. Just being aware and trying to correct the problem makes you a better parent. Go with what your heart tells you to do and don't start second guessing yourself cause your mom feels guilty and wants company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been a tough convesation, how you sat there without blowing your top is amazing to me. I would have lost it.

    Then again, that isn't the best approach.... if you think she made a point, then you are right to try and change things. I often think I don't spend enough one on one time with my kids but it's tough to do without feeling like the other is getting left out.

    The later bedtime seems like a good compromise to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it was painful listening and really, are any of us even verging on perfection? Hell no! At least your mother admitted her own shortcomings and she wasn't just preaching to you. Then you used your own ingenuity and started on possible solutions.
    I say you are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making an effort to do what is right, and THAT is what makes you a good Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can only do the best we know how. I think you know how pretty damned good!
    You are an awesome mom...don't let anyone tell you different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome she is enjoying the extra half hour of alone time with you. We do the best we can as parents. We aren't perfect and I think our kids see that and still love us anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we all struggle with this! i've got 3! and when you have a co parent it's a bit easier but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, such a cute header! Love it! And also, I don't think the sneakiness in this situation is necessarily bad...I think it bonds you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My life with kids was way easier with 3 and 4. When we just had two... OMG. Not sure how to describe it and not sure I can explain how it seemed easier with a third and a fourth. Now five, five may do me in. LOL

    I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If parenting wasn't challenging and difficult then I don't think we'd be doing it right....does that make sense? It did in my head...but then most of the conversations in my head make sense.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. She understands. You did. I did. Right? I know that doesn't make it right, but at she knows. I don't really have suggestions either. Maybe punishments for Bubba that remove him from getting attention instead of ones that make him get more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are all on a wing and a prayer in raising kids, Stacey. It is awful easy to sit there telling someone what they are doing wrong rather than saying how to do it AND actually doing it. If you figure it out, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you sure were not related? That sounds just like my mom, and honestly to some degree I have followed in my moms footsteps. Unfortunately I am learning now with my own two children that all you can do is give the advice and hope for the best. Its their life and they need to live it the way they see fit. With the good and the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was an only child but can tell you that my parents probably parented the way their parents did. It must be a parenting legacy. You've decided to take stock, inventory the situation and do something about it. That's pretty damn awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow! Great post. And, it really hit home. My 12 yr old daughter is constantly taking the backseat to our 3 yr. old daughter. She has to give up "stuff" just to keep the peace.

    Thanks for reminding me that I should find a way for her and I to share special one on one time.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, pull up a therapy couch and tell me all about it...